Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2013

Assembling the Paletti SSP

Here I wanna document the assembling process of my new paletti frame.

First, the setup:
But before I began to assemble, I changed the old axis and nuts against a newer ones including Miche track nuts.
Then I started with the frame (without fork)
To measure the length of the steerer tube, first, you have to press the headset cups in the frame. I did not have to face the steerer tube ends because they were prepared (as well as the bottom bracket shell was faced).
Result:


 Here you can see the fork with the unprepared crown race seat.


With  a crownace cutter you cut down the crown to the measure of your headset crown ring.


 In the process of cutting the crown.

 Result: Cutted Crown.
After that, I had to mount the headset crown ring to the fork's crown. Tool: Crown race fitting tool.
 In the process of mounting the ring on the crown.
After that, I could assemble fork and headsets to the frame.
I used a headset/bottom bracket wrench and a monkey wrench.
Installing the stem and handlebar.
Tool: Allen key 4,5 and 6.
After that, I could turn over the bottom bracket shell.
Bottom bracket:
(Actually, this is not the one I installed. This purposes just for showing a bottom bracket.)

To install a bottom bracket, you need special tools, depending on various forms of bottom bracket cups.

For this I needed this bottom bracket tool:
Installed bottom bracket with one side of the crank set. Also assembled: wheels.



2 Kommentare:

  1. Hi!

    Great post!

    It looks like I have basically the exact same frame as the one you're working on!

    I've got a quick question, what bottom bracket did you use for you refurb? I'm in the process of picking mine out and I can't seem to make my mind up on the correct size and threading!

    Here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/ShgxoSD.jpg

    I'm doing a full overhaul on it. I've basically taken it apart fully. All of the other components on it seem mechanically good, except for the bottom bracket.

    I'm going to repaint and decal it. Replace the saddle, bar tape and brake levers (obviously cables too). Get rid of those god awful mud guards and rack.

    Other than that I think she's good to go! Just gotta get that bottom bracket sorted!

    Any help would be appreciated!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi Haider,

    thank you for your comment. Very cool, your Paletti. What's the number on the bottom bracket housing? Can I see photos of all the decals. Would appreciate it.

    I used an ITA/JIS bottom bracket from a company called "Kinex". They're located in the Czech Republic I think and they make good products as far as I can tell. Here's the link:

    http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/171283663799?lpid=106&_configDebug=ViewItemDictionary.ENABLE_PAYMENTS_IN_HLP:true&hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1

    So, difficult to say what you need. Depends on what kind of cranks you have. Italien one? Then JIS is not the right decision. Axis lenght also depends on your cranks. Mine needs 117mm lenght.

    Let me know if I can be of any help. Would love to follow up your proceedings with the Paletti.

    Chris

    AntwortenLöschen